If there is one thing I know a lot about it is spending a whole day traveling. I hate sitting in one place for hours and having to stop at unhealthy fast food places because you’re starving. I went to school in Virginia, but I am from Massachusetts so 12 hour car rides are very normal. When I graduated I thought that part of my life was over. But, when you go to school 12 hours away from where you live chances are most of your friends still live 8-12 hours away. Plus, I love spending my free time exploring new places and cultures, so days of travel are sometimes necessary! Over the years I have learned a lot about traveling and how to stay healthy. Here are my 7 healthy travel tips that will help you survive your next trip!
- Workout before a long day of travel, or plan your rest day around travel. When you have a long day of travel ahead of you, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get moving early. This will ensure you get your daily activity in and it could help you sleep on the train/bus or plane!
- Pack healthy snacks. This goes without saying, packing healthy snacks will save you a lot of frustration, money, and calories. My favorite snacks are: lara bars, hard boiled eggs, fruit (bananas, apples, clementine's, grapes) baby carrots, wraps with deli meat and veggies, air-popped popcorn and nuts.
- Get plenty of sleep! This will help you stay focused and will ensure you have the best time when you actually get to your destination. Losing sleep puts a ton of stress on the body and can take a toll on your health, so get in that extra nap on the plane!
- Drink PLENTY of water. I know a lot of people try and avoid hydration especially on road trips but that is SO bad for you. You are way better off drinking water, staying hydrated than saving the 10 minutes it will take you to stop at a rest area and pee!
- Stand up and stretch. Long flights, cramped bus seats, hours of driving all mean hours and hours of SITTING. Stand up, do some jumping jacks, touch your toes, stretch your hip flexors, your body will thank you.
- Look for healthy options at fast food places, because they are out there. I know it's not always possible to pack a ton of snacks with you and a lot of times its necessary to stop and get food and drinks so look for your best options. My favorite fast food healthy options are:
Chick-fil-a grilled chicken sandwich or grilled nuggets
Starbucks (my personal fav) has a variety of snack boxes, fruits, and popcorn that is all healthy. Coffee is usually a must have when it comes to travel, but stick to black coffee or an unflavored latte!
Remember that you are traveling! Vacation should be be fun, not stressful, so don't worry too much about staying 100% healthy, because that's not what life is about. It is so important to be mentally healthy. If cutting yourself some slack while you're on vacation is what you need to do, then go ahead and do it.