Every time I scroll through Instagram, or even talk to friends or co-workers I hear of the latest diets, people going gluten free, paleo, starting the Whole 30 or starting to count Macros.
I get it. I completely understand why everyone wants to hop on the latest diet train. They promise you success, they promise you the results you never got on the plan before and they promise you the happiness that comes with losing weight and achieving your dream body. Diets give you a sense of community, they give you something to control and they give you simple rules to follow on what foods are allowed and what are not.
But diets don't work. They teach you to hate your natural body, they teach you that certain foods are "bad" or off limits. They teach you to ignore you inner hunger cues and they cause you to obsess about following specific rules. Diets tell you that you are bad when you mess up and lead to endless amounts of guilt.
I could go on and on about why diets are terrible and how much pain they cause. But here are some actual physiological, and psychological reasons as to why diets do not work.
Why Diets Don’t Work
- Sell false images of "the perfect body"
- Focus on abstract goals to far away to keep you motivated
- We are more likely to choose something (in this case, food) based on instant gratification
- Lead to binge restrict cycle
- Teach you to fight your bodies natural instincts
- Deems certain foods BAD which makes you crave them more
- Causes you to obsess about food
- Slows your metabolism, resulting in more weight gained
- Deprives your body of necessary nutrients
So what is the answer if its not dieting? How do I eat? Intuitive eating, listening to your body and making choices that feel, and taste good. My number 1 recommendation for learning more about this is to purchase the Intuitive Eating book on Amazon, it changed how I view health and wellness.
As always, if I can help you in anyway, please send me a message here.