I have always loved green tea. I love the taste and I love that it has so many health benefits. So when Matcha green tea started to become the new thing, I knew I wanted to be a part of the craze. I do realize that I am more than a little late in the Matcha game. After all, it has been a popular staple and many healthy foodies kitchens for a few years now at least. BUT to be honest I am just getting into it. So I decided that now would be a great time to share with everyone else that may be a little late in the Matcha game!
What IS Matcha Green Tea?
Matcha green tea is a special type of green tea. It is a fine, bright green powder and it tastes just like regular green tea, but stronger. There are MANY different ways to enjoy Matcha, but most common is just steeped with hot water, just like regular green tea. However, because Matcha comes in a powder, you also need a whisk to mix the powder with the water. The process is super easy to do, and because of the benefits of the tea, totally worth it!
Buy the full set here!
Why I LOVE Matcha Green Tea!
First, I'd like to start by telling you why I personally love Matcha green tea. I love Matcha because it tastes really good. Think green tea but with more green tea flavor, if that makes any sense at all. Also, you can do a TON with it, regular hot tea, iced tea, matcha green tea lattes, add it to smoothies and even bake with it! (Although I have not perfected baking with Matcha...yet.)
I also love it because it is a great alternative to coffee in the mornings or for an afternoon pick me up. Now don't get me wrong, I will NEVER give up coffee. But when my acid reflux is acting up, Matcha green tea is my go to. It gives me energy, tastes delicious and its just as easy to make as a cup coffee.
Health Benefits of Matcha Green Tea!
- Matcha green tea is packed with antioxidants! Which you may be familiar with because of their anti-aging properties! Antioxidants prevent or delay certain types of cell damage, which can delay the aging process.
Long Lasting Energy
- Hello new replacement for coffee (sometimes)
- Matcha Green Tea has Caffeine! In smaller amounts than coffee, but still enough to give you that boost of energy you need!
- Matcha also has an amino acid called theanine, which stimulates the production of dopamine and serotonin. These neurotransmitters help relax you while keeping you alert.
- Theanine (the amino acid mentioned above) also helps with boosting your mood! When dopamine and serotonin are released in the brain your mood elevates and your concentration and memory improve!
- Matcha green tea contains catechins (an antioxidant) that helps boost your metabolism (with consistent consumption).
Fights Infection and Disease
- Catechins are also responsible for inducing antiviral, anti-plaque forming and anti-cancer activities in the body.
- Helps lower blood pressure and blood glucose. Both, when increased can cause disease.
Boosts Immune Function
- Contains Vitamin C, A and a bunch of other good stuff that helps promote healthy immune function!
So there you have it! SO many different reasons YOU should go get your hands on some Matcha today!
Buy your Matcha here!
Matcha Tea Latte
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 Dashes Cinnamon
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on low for 30 seconds.
Pour over ice and enjoy!