This recipe came about pretty unexpectedly, but I honestly think these are some of the best things I have made yet! I made these because we had a cauliflower sitting in our refrigerator and it was right on the edge of going bad so I knew I had to make it soon. I usually just make cauliflower fried rice, which I love but I wanted to add something different to the mix. Also, sometimes a whole cauliflower makes so much fried rice it never gets eaten!
So I was searching on Pinterest looking for inspiration for my recipe and finally came across an idea, cauliflower tater tots, now I just have to make it my own! Many of the recipes called for cheese, which you can TOTALLY add but I have been trying to cut down on my dairy intake so I decided to eliminate the cheese and go with nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast kind of has a cheesy, nutty flavor so often times its used by vegans as a cheese substitute. It is also high in protein and is usually fortified with B vitamins, which makes it another good option for vegans!
Another unique thing about my Cauliflower tater tots is that I did not use breadcrumbs, instead I ground up some oats in the food processor, which worked really well to help hold the whole mixture together!
I really was shocked at how good this recipe came out! I now have a good, healthy substitution for french fries, now I just have to make sure I have these handy at all times!
Serves 5 Balls
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 3 Cups of Cauliflower (blended in the food processor)
- 1 1/2 cups of oats
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (or cheese if you're looking for more flavor)
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- a couple dashes of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pulse the cauliflower in the food processor, separate 3 cups and add to a bowl.
- Pulse the oats in the food processor, add them to the cauliflower.
- Put the remaining ingredients in the cauliflower and oats bowl, mix well.
- Roll into about 2 tablespoon size balls and place on the cookie sheet.
- Spray cooking spray on top of the balls, put them in the oven and cook until golden brown, about 20 minutes!